Monday, May 28

Ecological Footprint

I was out to dinner this evening at a friends, and being relatively enviromentally minded, we were chatting about environmental impacts, whether or not money is good or evil, sustainability and how it is that Costa Rica has no army. In relation to the environmental impact, I was reminded of the ecological footprint quiz - so when I was avoiding study when I got home I had a look. Sadly, it everyone lived like me, you'd need three planets. Although, I fudged a few figures - like how big my house is, and how fuel efficient my car is - not to be naughty, but because I don't know these things! Mind you, if I undertake the travel I intend to this year, it may go beyond the amount I selected. But I did see STA travel has environmental offset stuff - I should look into it!













































































CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES
FOOD 2.2
MOBILITY 0.6
SHELTER 1.2
GOODS/SERVICES 1.4
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 5.4






IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 7.6 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.




WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST
1.8
BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE
GLOBAL HECTARES
PER PERSON.






IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 3 PLANETS.









Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: